Catholic Mission's Work with Children
Founded in 1843 in France by Bishop Charles de Forbin-Janson (1785-1844)
It started with a conversation about how children could help children.
Bishop Charles met Pauline Jaricot around 1840. When touring the USA, he spoke on many issues including the work of the Propagation of the Faith. Back in Paris, he began to take an increasing interest in the rescue of abandoned babies in China.
For advice, he returned to Lyons, France, to confer with Pauline. Two days of discussion produced a clear, positive, simple plan.
Just as Propagation of the Faith (Catholic Mission's work with communities) had been organised among adults to aid foreign missions, so Bishop Charles would endeavour to found an organisation among children for the salvation of children.
On 19 May 1843, he called his first meeting and set out to establish the new society throughout France.
It called upon its members for two things: a short daily prayer for the missions and a monetary sacrifice. As with the other two societies, it came under papal protection and was made a Pontifical Society in 1922.
Under its banner "children helping children", monies raised through schools are directed towards self-help programs involving the building of schools, the provision of health and nutrition programs and medications, school fees, and teaching and learning resources.
Children in communities, orphanages, homes for the disabled, refuges, and those living on the streets are assisted by the generosity of children who wish to help make the love of Jesus known everywhere.
In recent years, the efforts of children have been supported by adults through the "Children's Mission Partners" program and other mission formation and fundraising activities.