Pull up your socks this Socktober and help sock it to poverty!
This year, why not be part of the movement to make a change? Turn this October into Socktober and help sock it to poverty!
What is Socktober?
Socktober is an initiative of Catholic Mission and one way which your school can fundraise and engage in advocacy and formation activities for Catholic Mission during World Mission Month in October, or at other times throughout the year.
The way you use Socktober for fundraising, formation and advocacy is only limited to the ways your imagination can create activities relating to socks! Socktober activities promise to be fun, exciting and something your school can adapt, embrace and become involved with, according to your circumstances, resourcing and other commitments.
The ‘sock it to something’ concept is an Australian expression that means to strike out at. We want to invite you to help us strike out at social issues, such as poverty, child labour, child trafficking, homelessness and lack of education and to do so we also need your practical support.
- Host a ‘Rock Your Socks Off’ dance party, either during a lunch break, or maybe an after-school disco fundraiser with a gold coin contribution.
- Hold a ‘Walk in Someone Else’s Shoes Day’ and bring in clothes to donate to a charity, share the clothes with class-mates and wear something that is not your own for the day.
- Hold a ‘Tech-free’ day and research education around the world using books and story-telling (ask parents, grandparents, teachers, aunts etc.) – make a children’s book and sell these to parents.
- Hold a ‘Movie day’, with a movie that focuses on an issue we are focussing on, for example education in a developing country and ask for donations.
- Hold a ‘Trivia event’ and find out as much as you can about Myanmar, its people and the education system supported by Catholic Mission and make up questions for children to answer.
- Put on a sock puppet show, with a focus on a story from the Bible or an issue of social justice.
- Run a Socktober liturgy or Mass.
- Socks need to be washed—create a Prayer Line at your school (a portable clothes line showing socks with prayer points and other spiritual enrichment).
- Coordinate all the students and staff at your school to take off their shoes and socks at exactly the same time on a nominated day. Our vision is that for a suitable time span, students will bare their feet and their heart as a simple gesture to show solidarity for those hundreds of thousands of children who go barefoot to school every day.
- This activity is suggested for the 31st October (or nearest school day) to mark World Mission Month in October. The idea is to introduce your students to a piece of literature that offers a powerful message about mission, social justice, or making a difference, which all students in all classes in the school read and study at the same time.
Please contact your local Catholic Mission Diocesan Director or phone 1800 257 296 should you need any extra information or resources, and to inform us of your fundraising activities. Your Catholic Mission Diocesan Director will also be able to provide suggestions for making your fundraising more effective in your school.
Tel 1800 257 296